Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rainy Week in Firenze

Sadly the rain prevented me from traveling to the beaches of Cinque Terre as previously planned, but I will make it there eventually I am sure. It has all worked out for the best anyway, because this week classes officially started and wow, grad school is definitely a step above undergrad. Readings are intense, sometimes boring and always long. I am very glad that I know without a doubt that I am doing the right thing for myself, otherwise I would having a much harder time coping with the amount of work. Also, I am pretty sure I have yet to adjust fully to my new timezone seeing as this weekend I repeatedly went to sleep at 5am and slept until 2pm.

Over the past week we have had the chance to be part of a film festival of independent short and full-length films highlighting the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall. It has been a mixed bag of some very insightful and entertaining films along with some cocmpletely off-the-wall, experimental pieces. Regardless, I have a renewed desire to travel to and explore Berlin some weekend this year.

The first pangs of missing the U.S. has started to hit as well. Dreams of Taco Bell and utter hatred towards the impossibility of purchasing dryer sheets and paper towels anywhere that would normally sell such products. This evening, however, I did give in and paid a visit to one of two Florentine McDonald's. PURE HEAVEN. Even though I spent €7 on a value meal [the same amount allowing me to purchase 10 McDoubles off of the dollar menu in the states] it was completely worth it. Sadly, Taco Bell does not exist outside of the U.S. as far as I am aware. The Crispy McBacon will have to suffice for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, I forget that you're there for grad school... As for your noisy piazza, you should leave food in front of your window and tape bum fights... the international version.